Monday, 14 July 2014

Kirsten Kimono Tee - summer stripes

A few months ago I made my first t-shirt from the Kirsten Kimono Tee pattern.  The pattern was so easy, I fancied having another go.  I picked this fabric up in Fashion Fabrics in Bath - there was only 80cm left, but that was plenty for this cute t-shirt.

There's nothing like stripes for a pattern matching challenge, but I can verify that the matching was significantly easier on this t-shirt compared to the chevron skirt - a combination of not trying to get them at right angles and also the stripes being much broader.  Horizontal stripes are reputed for making people look wider, but I decided I really didn't care - I like the fabric too much!

Last time I made this I had a few problems - first was the fact that my machine kept skipping stitches, which I then had to tidy up by hand on any bits which were visible.  Happily, this was fixed by my new jersey machine needles - definitely a worthwhile purchase.

Secondly, last time round, I just couldn't get the neckline right.  It ended up quite loose at the back and very stretched at the front.  This time was significantly more even, and I also did a 'stitch in the ditch' rather than the zig zag stitch over the binding, which I liked a lot better - although I did have to do some hand stitching to catch a bit of the binding which didn't get caught by the stitches.  The tension might have been a little more than I wanted, as the fabric is ever so slightly tight in places, but overall, I'm much happier with this attempt at the neckline.

My second t-shirt, and I'm really pleased with it.  Hopefully it'll get plenty of wear this summer if the good weather stays around...!

No comments:

Post a Comment