Tuesday 13 May 2014

Happy blog-iversary!

I can't believe that 4 (and almost a half) months of the year have gone - that's already a third of 2014 done and dusted! Not only that, but today is actually the first birthday of my blog.  I posted my very first blog post on the 13th of May 2013.  Back in May 2013, all I had made were a few bags and brooches, and I'd had an attempt at my very first skirt.  Joining the blogging world encouraged me to have a look round for free patterns as well as tutorials, and I soon made my first top as well.

This picture is actually from my birthday in January but seems apt...!  Apologies for my rather cheesy grin!


In light of a year of blogging about sewing (and only just over a year of actually sewing!), it seemed like it might be a good time to review my sewing resolutions (made back in January), and generally see what I've done over the last year!
  1. Sewing room - My sewing room is well into operation.  I really enjoy having somewhere to go where I can just get on with things, without worrying about leaving a bit of a mess or losing things.
  2. Dresses - One down, one to go as far as dresses are concerned.  I've got the pattern cut out for my second dress, the lady skater dress, and I'm looking forward to starting that soon.
  3. Craft classes - I was given two classes for Christmas, and I've started both of them - just!  I've bought my denim and the Andrea Wolff pattern for my making designer jeans class, and done one of the tutorials.  I've also done a few of the tutorials on lining and interfacing, to help me choose the lining for a work skirt I want to make.
Over the year I've gained a lot of confidence in my sewing.  From simple online tutorials, I've now graduated to patterns, and every week I'm wearing or using at least one handmade item - not very much compared to some bloggers who are doing Made Me May, but for someone who could barely even hold a needle, times have really changed!  I would really encourage any of you who think you wouldn't be able to do it - you can!

I've also accumulated the start of a little sewing library - plenty of patterns, as well as a nice little collection of books and magazines to help me on my way.  There are so many resources out there - it can be hard to resist all the lovely books and magazines on offer!

On a completely different crafting note, crocheting has also entered my repertoire.  I learnt to crochet while I was in London last July.  It's a completely different sort of craft, and what I like about it is that it can be done just about anywhere...in the car (although not while driving!!), on the train, while watching TV...you can take it anywhere!

Thanks so much for all your support and encouragement over the last year.  I always loved writing, and combining it with my new hobby is such great fun.  It's great to know that people are interested and enjoying what I'm doing!  Please feel free to subscribe using the links on the right - if you don't fancy joining Google plus or Friend Connect, you can subscribe by email.

Here's to the next year of sewing and blogging...!

1 comment:

  1. Happy blogiversary Rebekah, maybe by this time next year my skirt will be done :P
    Can you guess who this anonymous post is from?? ;)

    ReplyDelete