Tuesday 6 May 2014

Inside Crochet - my monthly read

You might remember that for Christmas my hubby was very proactive and got me a subscription to 'Inside Crochet' magazine.  I had already been a (short term) subscriber to Simply Crochet, but I sadly didn't feel that I did enough crocheting to merit two subscriptions, so it was cancelled and I looked forward to my new magazine.

Inside Crochet is such a lovely magazine.  There's usually more than 20 patterns included, of lots of different types of crochet - from sweaters to cushion covers.  As well as that, there are interviews with people, such as designers of patterns, people who make yarn, and those who have their own crochet businesses.  There are also instructions on different crochet stitches and each month there's a basic section for those who might be picking up crochet for the first time.


I've not made much from the magazine patterns yet, as life has been so hectic and when I've had free time I've been sewing, rather than crocheting. However, last month I picked up the chevron scarf, to crochet during our trip to Belfast.  It's just a simple pattern, with basic treble crochets (double crochets in the US), but it looks really effective.  I'm using Rico Creative micro print DK yarn. It's 100% microfibre, which means it is really soft and has a really nice drape when it is crocheted up. The yarn is quite fine, and I'm using a 4mm hook, so it's taking a while, but it really allows the lovely detailing of the chevron pattern to shine through.

I'm about half way there at the moment - it's very effectively keeping me occupied on long car journeys.  Hopefully I'll have some results to show soon...!

My next project is from issue 49, a few months ago - I really want to make the Loren Jumper, from Drops Verdi.  It only requires one ball, and is a basic cosy jumper.  Perhaps not perfect timing to crochet a jumper as the weather is finally getting warmer...!  I should probably finish my cardigan first though - I'm so nearly there, but have been so distracted with sewing and work that I've just not had time.

If you're interested in subscribing to a crochet magazine, this is another one I can really recommend!

No comments:

Post a Comment