Monday, 12 August 2013

LOVE cushion

In case you've been wondering where I've got to...I've been on holiday with my hubby and my folks in the USA :-) !  We had such an amazing time - absolutely loved it!  The three weeks flew by - it's hard to believe we're back to reality already - but I'm happy to be here updating my little blog!

My friend and her boyfriend got engaged back in Northern Ireland at Easter time, and I was pondering what to get them as an engagement present.  A bit mortified because it had taken me so long to get something sorted, I decided that it would be nice to make them something, rather than just buy a gift - that, as well as the few hundred miles of distance between us, might excuse the lateness...!

So may I present my first ever cushion...

LOVE cushion

I went down to Fabric Land here in Bristol to buy fabric, and got a gorgeous cream crepe - I asked the girl serving whether she thought it would be good for cushion, and her only comment was ''s cream"!  So that was a yes, and I'm trusting that the colour of the fabric isn't too challenging for them!  I also had some of the fabric left from which I made my bunting back in May - I thought it would be ideal for my letters.

There were a few great challenges for me with my first cushion

1. Letters 

This was something a wee bit different - cutting out letters from fabric and then sewing them onto the cushion.  I used a zigzag stitch on my machine to go round the edge of each letter, and this worked really well - it was a cute little effect, and also stopped the edges from fraying.

Template letters
Cut out letters

"L" with a zig-zag stitch around the edges

2. Putting in a zipper

Zippers continue to be a challenge!  

Please, please, please, when you're making a cushion, don't do what I did.  I got so carried away with all my cutting out of letters and all sorts that before I even thought about it, I'd sewn up the other sides of the cushion, and left the zipper til last!  Disaster - as all good sewists know, you should put your zipper in as early as possible.  This understandably led to a bit of complexity!

Ideally I would have used a 14" zip, but because I had already sewn everything together, I ended up using a 12", as there just wasn't enough space to fit the longer length in at the corners of my material.  One of these days I will definitely install the zip at the right time - I continue to live in hope!  However, in the end it looked fine - more coincidence than my skills, I can assure you!

Popped my little label on the back of the cushion - at least this shows that it's handmade, so hopefully that adds charm to the little flaw underneath, haha!  The little lip around the zip hides the zip nicely, which I think is a nice little effect as well.

For a first attempt at a cushion, I'm really pleased - and the bride-to-be was as well, which is really the most important thing!  What a relief!

1 comment: